Lafayette High School
Lafayette High School has served the St. Joseph community since 1917. Over the years, the school has adjusted to changes in population and culture of the community. Lafayette has provided an increasing variety of academic and extra-curricular opportunities for the students. In 1917, North High School was built on a block of property surrounded by Highland, Dolman, Washington and Fourth Streets. The official address is 412 E. Highland Avenue.
In September 1917, seventeen teachers, under the direction of Principal Vincent A. Davis, served students in grades 1 through 10. Mr. Davis' salary was $1,800 for ten months. Extra- curricular activities included basketball and football. The students chose green and gray for their colors. In December 1917, the board of education changed the name North High School to Lafayette High School, honoring the Marquis de Lafayette. In 1919, a winning football team, under the direction of D.H. Murphy, became known as "The Fighting Irish", and the school emblem became the shamrock. The Booster Club was organized this year. In 1920, the first school newspaper, Hi-Life, later called The Light was published. A boys' vocational program and girls' domestic science program were soon added.
The following years brought many significant changes. In 1940, building an extension on the west side provided a library, ROTC facilities and new classrooms. new gym In 1961, a gymnasium, cafeteria and more classrooms were added. In 1969, another physical change provided a four story annex on the east side, offering more classrooms and resource centers. During the 1990-91 school year, the building was extended again with the completion of a two-story addition on the south side of the building. This addition provided a very modern learning resource center with the latest in technology. It also provided courses for students in grades nine through twelve. During the 2001-03 school years, the building was extended once again. A two story addition on the south side of the media center and to the east of the cafeteria provided a new practice gym on the top floor and below the gym, a new modern band room, storage areas and a new girls locker room. The LHS track was resurfaced and at the same time, two rooms on the west end of the building were remodeled to give Lafayette two state of the art science laboratories. The building was further enhanced when the original office, the vice principals offices and one classroom were remodeled to contain the East Office, for the Vice Principals, a conference room, and the West Office for the Principal and Activities Coordinator.