1917 Gazette Article

November 3, 1917

Saturday Gazette Article

North High School is Formally Dedicated
Building Completely Constructed
Crowd of 600 Hear Talks and Music on Program at Building Last Night

The combination gymnasium and auditorium of the North Side High School was crowded with enthusiastic northside dwellers, happy in the possession of the new building, to witness its formal dedication last night. About 600 were present. After the program, the building was inspected and a reception for the guests was given by the teachers, 17 in number. The school has the eight grades and two years of high school work.

The building is of Grecian style of architecture, made of brick and concrete, and is of fireproof construction. It contains two stories, a basement, and a sub-basement. Few school buildings have so many accommodations for teachers and pupils as this modern and beautiful structure. On the uppermost floor are twelve recitation rooms, a combination study room and library, three rest rooms, one for the teachers, one for the girl students and one for the boy students, and a commercial department. A remarkably helpful factor is the teaching of commercial subjects will be the room that may, with little trouble, be turned into a miniature bank

Building Described

The notable feature of the building is its combination of comfort, utility, and economy. The class rooms are "doubled up" in such a way as to provide enough rooms without inconvenience and with little expense. The room on the second floor that is now being used as a sewing room was built to be used for botany laboratory work. The auditorium was skillfully made to serve as a gymnasium as well and will seat 800 persons.

On the first floor are twelve recitation rooms for the grade pupils; a suite of offices, restrooms, and a chemical laboratory. The stage and dressing rooms are so well equipped they resemble those of a small theater. In the basement of the building are manual training and mechanical drawing rooms, a cafeteria, and a lunch room, a domestic science room, playground for the small children, and a room for lockers. Rudolph Meies is the architect.

Evening Program

The program opened with an overture by the Central High School orchestra of which W.C. Maupin is the director. Vernon G. Mays, superintendent of schools, made the address of welcome. F.W. Hackett, the contractor, who was on the program to deliver the speech of presentation, was not present. Orestes Mitchels, president of the board of education, spoke on behalf of the school district. Then followed several selections by the Girls' Glee Club of Central High School, after which Vincent A. Davis, principal of North High, spoke in behalf of the school, Horace Wood, of the North End Improvement Club, spoke in behalf of the grade schools.

W.I. Griffith, principal, gave greetings from Benton High School, C.F. Att, principal greetings from Robidoux High, and M.C. Prunty, principal, greetings from Central High School and Junior College. Several songs were sung by 100 pupils from the eight grades of Ernst, Humboldt, Krug, Washington and North schools. Mayor Eliot Marshall, who gave greetings in behalf of the city, was the last speaker. Community singing was led by Miss Clara Sanford, supervisor of music in the city schools. Patriotic songs were sung by the guests.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.